This is a delightful recipe for something sweet…and a little out of the ordinary. If you love sweet violets, you must try this recipe.
24 – 30 freshly picked sweet violet flowers
1/2 – 2/3 c (125 – 165 ml) berry sugar
Note: Pick only organic sweet violet flowers. Do not pick where pesticides or herbicides have been sprayed.
- Layer one third of the sugar in bottom of a half-pint (205 ml) sterilized canning jar, or other suitable sterile container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Sprinkle 8 – 10 flowers over the sugar. Note: Be sure the flowers are not damp from early morning dew.
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until layers fill your jar or container.
- Put lid in place and screw tightly.
- Invert jar and shake vigorously to distribute violet flowers throughout the sugar.
- Place in cupboard or dark pantry for 1 – 2 weeks, depending on how strong a flavour you want.
- Sieve sugar before using.
- Flavour cakes and cupcakes.
- Sprinkle over fresh fruit cups.
- Great gift for family and friends.
- Let your imagination dictate other uses.
Posted on April 18, 2017