(Amelanchier x grandiflora)
Baking Temp: 350 °F / 180 °C
Prep Time: 15 minutes / Cooking Time: 35 – 40 minutes
2 c (500 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 c (250 ml) sugar
2 1/2 tsp (12 ml) baking powder
3 tbsp (45 ml) butter, melted
2/3 c (85 ml) milk
1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
3 tsp (15 ml) grated lemon zest (reserve 1 tsp / 5 ml for topping)
2 c (500 ml / 8 oz) serviceberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
2. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Stir in butter, milk, vanilla, egg, and 2 tsp lemon zest until smooth. Fold in serviceberries.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining teaspoon of lemon zest over top of batter.
5. Bake at 350 °F for 35 – 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
6. Serve warm or cold, with or without ice cream or whipped cream.
Note: If using an 8 x 8 inch baking dish, extend cooking time by up to 10 minutes because volume will be thicker than if using a 9 x 9 inch pan. As you will notice in the photo, my cobbler fell slightly in the centre as I only added 5 minutes extra cooking time. (Toothpick looked to be clean after inserting in centre of cobbler.) I have now added a 9 x 9 inch baking dish to my arsenal of kitchen equipment.